I have been doing a lot of video lately for my new interview site FounderBuzz and thought I would share a few of the things I learned that took me some time to figure out. The first thing, I would like to share is how to add your logo to your video. Of course this is a simple thing for people who have done a lot of video editing, but for a complete novice like myself I found it surprisingly hard to find good information about it.
This is how I did it with iMovie, and some of this information will be specific to that, but generally this should apply to other editing software as well. With that said, here is what I did.
- Computer: iMac running OS X Snow Leopard
- Video editing software: iMovie ’11
- Image editor: Pixelmator, but I have also used Photoshop
- Step 1 Generate a PNG: Get logo in proper format. You need a PNG of your logo, not a JPEG, PDF, or other format. The reason you need a PNG is that it will only show your logo with a transparent background.
- Step 2 Create it in the proper aspect ratio: In order to drop your logo in simply in your video it needs to have the same aspect ratio as your video even though the background is transparent. I have two versions of my logo, one for widescreen HD video (1,280×720) and one in standard (640×480) ratio. This will prevent cropping of your logo or black bands from appearing when the whole logo is shown.
- Step 3 Drag your logo onto your iMovie project: When you do this, you will be presented with options of how to insert this image into your video. Choose Picture in Picture to have it overlaid on the video.
- Step 4 Fit your image to the video: Select your new Picture in Picture image in iMovie and edit it (in iMovie you can just press “c” once you have it selected). Once in editing mode choose “fit” to make sure that your entire logo is selected.
- Step 5 resize your logo and position it: Dragging the corner of your newly inserted logo allows you to make it bigger or smaller in your video and then you can position it in your video appropriately.
- Step 6 imbed your logo across your video: I choose to have my logo show up from the beginning of the video to the end, but you can just have it show up in certain sections of the video if you choose.
I hope this helps. I’m sure that I’ve left things out so be sure to post if you have any questions.